Joining my father to give back to society on Boxing Day

My father has been a farmer for many many years. More than 10 years, he moved the poultry farm which was in our backyard of our house on the KNUST Campus to Appeadu in Kumasi and then later on to a small village called Kwaso-Deduako. Over the years, the village has grown as his farm - Ulzenapp farms - has grown as well. He moved the family tradition of killing a goat to mark each New Year to the farm as well. My father is a people's person. It is in this light that he started giving out Christmas gifts to the children in Kwaso-Deduako. He'd normally pick a good day in the festive season to do so. He'd especially pick a day that I was present to join him do so. Yesterday on Boxing Day, I did. Here's an account.

I knew he was going to give out the 'gifts' on Boxing Day but I also really wanted to watch the English premier league games. While watching Manchester United come back to win a game with vim, my father called asking if he should pick me up. There were more games to watch after this ManUtd encounter, but I couldn't say no. Daddy came by the Senior Staff Club with his longtime buddy Mr. Asamoah to pick me up and we headed out. I'd miss the 3pm games and come right back to watch the big top-of-the-table clash - Manchester City versus Liverpool.
We arrived at the farm and started the gifting journey. Daddy's van was big enough to take him, Mr. Asamosh, me, Agya Boadu (the farm caretaker) and two other farm workers. I sent these Whatsapp messages to my siblings to update them on how we were spending Boxing Day as they could not be in Kumasi at the time. I later tweeted them for all and sundry. And now I'm keeping them in this blog post.
Ulzenap farms has the best chicken and broilers in Kumasi. They've sold out already this festive season. They are so good that you have to book a month in advance. My Daddy's a champ! We shared a big pack of biscuits and 1 Kalyppo drink for all the kids who were 6 years and younger. This is likely one of the few times the youngest in Ghana enjoy over the older ones.
Like I said before, my father has been sharing these gifts for a number of years. His name is now 'Dada Kalyppo'. I told him that we should get him a Santa Claus hat next year.
Daddy does things on merit like I do. But then again, even Santa Claus gives presents those who are naughty but nice. So yeah :-)
Translating the Twi into English --> "Here is the King! God should bless all of us, you should go (and walk) with God". So we also said Medaase (Thank You) as much as they did.
Translating the Twi into English --> "And this man, where is he from?". I am Ghanaian o! Please don't tell me I don't look like one, you will break my heart. I am not Santa Claus either.
Translating the Twi into English --> "White man, how is it?" "I'm not a white man o, can't you see I am speaking Twi?" "Are you married? I will get you a woman to marry okay?". 'Tis the season to be merry. 'Tis the season to be marry. I captured that in this tweet as well. I go marry eh. Smallest time o, find my wife one o!
This year, my father added the old men and women in Kwaso-Deduako to the gift recipients. They each received packed food - jollof, chicken or fish and egg.
Quite a statement right. My father gives back to society. But then again many Ghanaians do things like this during the festive season. Join the club. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages