#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Wutah

Wutah Fire!!!! They feature in my my top 10 Ghanaian songs of 2009my 10 favorite Ghanaian songsmy African wedding songs playlist and the soundtrack to 1 of the best Ghanaian movies ever made - Perfect Picture. One of the best Ghanaian groups ever! I just don't know why they hardly made music videos. I mean, like why, like how? They need to be fired for that though :-)

I was sad when Afriyie & Kobby split, though they were making great music individually. For instance, Love Of My Life by Afriyie - one of my wedding playlist songs, #MightyAfricanLove. I remember when they released Bronya, I was so excited they were back together. However, that song does not make my top 3. They are still making some songs individually, and Afriyie's Country Hot is a classic for the ages, composed and released in the midst of the #FixTheCountry movement, a song that should be played consistently on radio, everywhere. Anyway. back to Wutah Fire!

Esikyire - 2005
I remember vividly where and when I heard this song for the first time. I was in a bus going to Accra from Kumasi and fell in love with the song from the very first lines. I am a huge fan of Wutah and though the song never had a video, it was hugely popular.
My one-time favorite love song of all time, it's comforting. This is probably the first love song I learnt how to sing verbatim and would sing to myself many-a-time. It was a joy seeing them perform in person in December 2006


Do you see why this song made me go find a place Wutah was perfoming, just to see the twosome, and meet them? Esikyire means sugar in Twi and in the song they sing, "she has put some sugar in my mouth". Sweet!

"I've been around the world, and I have found the girl I want, and I ain't ever gonna give up" "Oh my shordy, don't change your style, oh my baby, be like that."
"Makyin akyin a, afei na mahyia me dɔ yi. Onua anwo no a, anka mɛyɛ dɛn ni. N'adonko yi ɛfɛ me fɛ o, ɔdɔ ei, ɛnsesa"
"Ɛyɛ wo a, mese, ma wo nsa so ɛ (4x). Ɛnti ɔdɔ ei, ah, mese yɛ me bɔkɔɔ wae"

The lyrics are here by the way, on Kasahorow, via Museke.


Big Dreams - 2005
You know the thing dada! This is a song for the dreamers, those with goals, ambition, etc. Check out the lyrics here on Kasahorow, and listen.


"Many are called, but chosen are few. My cup is full and Jah help me renew"
"Oh, the stars would be my guide. Oh, the sun would be my hope. As long as there is life. I know Jah Jah won't let me down, ei"

"I keep dreaming my big dreams. Big dreams, (big dreams). All I can see (all I can see). Sometimes I try, to make them true"

Kotosa - 2009
I was thoroughly excited to hear this song played in Sparrow Productions' Perfect Picture. So "Love goes where Love is; I can't deny this; if you feeling this; Come and join us, sing this song". It warmed my heart to hear their 'Koto sa' track at the end of the movie. Listen. Watch. 


That thing about videos eh? Well, Wutah Kobby put this video up. Are you kneeling and dancing? Kotosa was a huge hit. I love that the song is in Twi, Ga and English, with the Nkebo bayaa parts, etc.
"Your love took me by surprise. And so fact that I can't deny. Someone please tell me why. Me afii pay the price"

Honorable Mentions: Bronya, Goosy Gander, Burnin' Desire, Adonko, Would You Still Love Me, Obaa Fowaa, AK47, Don't Worry, I Do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages