#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Alikiba

Today of all days, I am missing Tanzania. Because 12 years ago around this time, I was in Bongo land. I really loved being there. Hamis Ambwene Massawe too. Ndio. Before I ever visited Tanzania, I knew a lot about Alikiba. I had seen him perform in Oakland, Califorinia while I was still at Stanford. Before that day which I met my second girlfriend - Titi (She's Nigerian, not Tanzanian) - I knew a lot of Alikiba songs. And it is not just because of Museke. I liked music made by 
I hope you would love his craft more after reading this blog post. 

I am sure you know Kiswahili is the official language of Tanzania. Hapana? Kabisa? I learnt how to speak Swahili from some East African friends. I took 2 Swahili classes while at Stanford, which is the period I really started loving more music from Bongo. Bonga Flava has many flavours. Ali Saleh Kiba has his own flavour. Alikiba was such a pleasant guy when I met him. He likes to sing about love songs. Titi was right there, also trying to ahush Alikiba. The rest, they say is history. Now, on to the music :-)

Msiniseme - 2009

Ali Kiba once sang sang "Msiniseme kama napenda kula" but feel free to broadcast that me, I love food. I love food. When I was in Tanzania, I was introduce to "kiti moto". Nyamachoma has hype, but kiti moto is the real deal. Yes it is.


You were watching the video, and asking yourself, where is the food in the video? Hmmm, I don't know why it took a couple of minutes. Bongo flava. Mimi is the not the name of a lady. It means me. Me, I love food. Napenda Kula.

Cinderella - 2007
Cinderella has been sung about from Ghana to the USA to far away places on earth. Alikiba gave us this classic many years ago. It is also great to listen to this song and understand the lyrics. Aitwa Cinderella, rudi home wewe, rudi nyumbani. Tanzania is calling Hamis (me) to come home.

The video is lovely, isn't it? Ali Kiba is the love doctor of East Africa. Even over Diamond. Local champion, not as international as the other guy. I can't wait to say "Mimi, leo, niko Dar" while in Dar Es
Salaam. Beautiful song.

Mac Muga - 2007

One of those sorrowful type songs that you still love to sing along to. He mentions Africa :-) And the world, dunia. As well as South Africa. Hmmm. Watch the video to see if you understand what is going on.


The song talks about the struggles of a man named Mac Muga who was once successful. South Africa is a place Africans go for greener pastures o. You didn't know? Take it as an inspirational song too. The current storm would not last. Yes, Ali Kiba had made me a motivational speaker. How do you laugh in Swahili please? It's no laughing matter? I am sorry. Build your vim, and make great things happen for you. You do not need motivational speakers. 

Honorable Mentions: Mac Muga, Seduce Me, Msela, Mnyama, Mama, So Hot, Aje, Dushelele, Songi Songi, Mahaba, On Fire, etc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages