#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Viviane

I have to start from the day I met Viviane. It was one fine day before the Afrotainment Museke Online Africa Music Awards in September, 2011 in New York. We were organizing the first ever African Music Awards in the United of States of America. We have done some. Museke. It was a rehearsal for the MOAMAS. Big Apple. Big Personality. Big Performance. Big Voice. Big Beauty. Now you know one more thing about the one-time sister-in-law of Youssou Ndour. I bet you knew she is one of the most famous musicians from Senegal. And a one-time winner of female African Musician of the Year, awarded by Museke

She is very beautiful, after all these years. Someone would say I'm smitten. Probably my buddy Kwadade. Viviane Chidid/Chedid/Ndour is one of most beautiful women ever. I wanted to meet her when I went to Dakar, Senegal too in 2016. Beautiful country. Now, let us make you feel her beautiful music.

Champion - 2010

Easy right? Award winner. How could I not like a song called Champion by Viviane? It makes me think about my son, Ebo. #MightyAfricanPrince. Champion Baby. This is a proper Mbalax song. 


You hear traces of another song in it? Musicians do it all the time. Anyway, what did you think about the video? Wrestling is a big deal in Senegal. Did you see what the father and son were doing in the video? Reminds me of me and my son, not the wrestling part. The love. Gelongal which made this video, became friends of mine, when they came for MOAMAS. I was really proud to see how Viviane was received in Senegal after she went back home with the award. She was really celebrated around this big deal of an award she had won. Yes, it was a big deal. Champion

Fima Tollu - 2010
2010 was indeed Viviane's year. I do not understand what this song is about. I know a few words in Wolof though. She does say understand in the song. Or she doesn't? It's just a great song. 


The percussion. The melodies. The voices. The drums. The dancing. The video. With the Mbalax and all. What a joy of a song to listen and a video to watch! I love the way she sings Sumaila. That's not what she said? Where is Museke when you need it?


Amor - 2000 and Something
This is not her song, but for Philippe Monteiro? So I should not add it? Baal ma. This song is too good to not be talked about. She's in it. It is a favorite of mine. I absolutely adore this song. Listen to it. It's about love. Don't be stricken by her beauty. Listen to the voices, the melodies, how certain words are pronounced. Mmm hmmm. 


This is a Zouk song Check out this heavenly line from the "Amor" song. This is one of my favorite Zouk songs. You can imagine the Cape Verdean gentleman zouking the Senegalese lady to dance zouk. Do you hear her say Senegal? This is a great song for a (destination) wedding.


Honorable Mentions: Safari (Mokobe), Yeuk Yeuk, Fans Yi, No Stress, Par Force, Hallelujah (Sarkodie), Star, Yaama Neekh, Waaw, Kumu Neexul, etc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages