#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Tuface Idibia

2Baba No Lele! Innocent Idibia had been doing his thing with the Plantashun Boiz before most of us heard about his name with legendary African Queen track in 2004. I met him in Accra in 2004, in Worcester in 2005. Cool down to earth dude.

Before we get into the faves, permit to re-introduce you to this other great song by 2Face Idibia called My Love. I have been on American TV before o. In 2009, started a small segment on a local TV station in the Bay Area thanks to my friend Melanie. It was connected to the work we were doing at Museke. I blogged about it here too

Ebe Like Say - 2005
Ebe like say Manchester United is about to lose another game that it should be winning easily. Nottingham Forest. Really? 2 faces for this ManUtd team. Anyway, back to the music. I just like songs that let politicians know they are in the wrong and need to shape up. Here is one from this Nigerian legend.


"Why don't we work together so the future will be brighter. Coz e be like you and I we dey need each other all the time all the time. Another year has come. And now you want my trust once more oooh no"
Election time music. 2024. Oh no. 
"But the power is nothing. If your people cannot get quality education. The power is nothing. If your people keep on dying of disease and starvation"

Maybe, we need to start playing this song in churches and religious places of worship frequented by politicians. For instance. 

African Queen - 2004
Still one of the best ever songs from the continent. I used to go to clubs in the US which had lots of black people or played lots of popular African-American and Carribean music within 2006-2009. African Queen would be the token African song that was played. 




"And you are my African Queen, the girl of my dreams. You take me where I've never been. You make my heart go ting-a-ling-a-ling, oh ahh.
You are my African Queen, the girl of my dreams. And you remind me of a thing. And that is the African beauty yahhh"

Rainbow - 2012
Tuface shines on yet another love song. 

"Ever since I left you. I've been through hell and I'm back. Now my baby I. I wanna give you all my body and soul.
In fact I want to give you. The keys to all that I've got. Girl you're my star. You are my rainbow"




Yes, he married Annie. :-) Yes, Annie from the African Queen video. Awww. 

Honorable mentions: If Love Is A Crime, For Instance, My Love, Only Me, Outside, Keep on Rocking, Amaka, Implication, etc.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages