#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Lira

Before I get into Lira's music. I debated which artiste to feature in the last spot in my starting eleven. I just had to have someone from South Africa - the country which I believe has the best singers (globally, yes) and maybe the best range of music. 

I have been searching for a special happy birthday song she did for Mandela. I loved it enough to blog about it. I have a story about meeting Lira for the first time. Yes, I blogged about it too. In fact, I like Lira's music and aura a lot. That when she followed me on Twitter, I had to write about it too o

I have a couple of Lira CDs & a DVD even. I really adore how she records her concert and those are sold as albums. Every time I listen to those, I wish female Ghanaian musicians like Efya, Becca and Adina would do similar. The way Hamba is performed live, with the crowd singing it, is magical. 

I said South Africa has lots of great singers eh? How come Lira though? Something Inside So Strong.

Something Inside So Strong - 2014

You know I like to talk about vim right? This rendition is all about it, sounds about it, and would make you think about it.
Yea, blog post dey


This song, the perfornance, and video also deserved its own post. Here it is
Did you know that Lira had a stroke? See her sing for the first time after her stroke. Something Inside So Strong of her. 
"You can deny me. You can decide to turn your face away. No matter 'cause there’s... ...Something inside so strong. I know that I can make it"

"Deny my place and time. You squander wealth that's mine.My light will shine. So bright... it will blind you"

Ngiyazifela - 2015
The way Lira sings live, in concert as captured in the Captured Tour concert, is what actually moved this song up the list. It also shows her vocal range, her ability as a songstress, it also makes me think about Miriam Makeba.



The way the crowd reacts to the song, gives me goosebumps, every single time.

Wa Mpahela - 2009
The last Lira song to choose was very hard. The final nod went to the one-time top song on my iTunes playlist - Wa Mpaleha. Yeah, it has to be another live version.


Melodies. 

Honorable Mentions: Phakade, Ixesha, Feel Good, All My Love, Rise Again, Valley of Darkness, Believer, etc. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages