#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Kirk Franklin

I've grown up Catholic, and I still am. Along the way, I have just a church-goer, very religious, and now I hardly go to church. I am a Christian, I still am. Gospel music is a constant if you are a Christian. No? Really? I can't think far, otherwise. There are lots of gospel music songs I like, have sang in church, in the shower (yes, there too) and many places. But though I am very very attached to Ghana and Africa - some of my favorite gospel songs - or inspirational music - or #whatchumacallit - comes from an American - Kirk Franklin. Kirk Franklin's music for me touches on the positivity I always think and be about, and the spirit of volunteerism, helping people, etc. Yes, let's #volunteeringh

Lean On Me - 1998
It started with Lean On Me. I really love the movie of the same name. Yes, the one with Morgan Freeman. The man many says is God in the movies. I had seen this movie on TV in Ghana. Back to godly music. I don't know the Bible much anymore, but I do know I like the idea of deeds than faith. "Tell me, how can I, how can I love Jesus. When I've never seen His face. Yeah, I see you dying. And I turn and walk away"



This is one of the first songs I learnt to sing - verbatim. Watching the video again, I can't help but think what happened to R. Kelly.
Anyway, "I am here. You don't have to worry. I can see. I can see your tears. 
Your tears. I'll be there in a hurry when you call. Yes I will. Friends are there to catch you when you fall. Here's my shoulder. Here's my shoulder, you can lean on me"

Imagine Me - 2005
By the time this song came out, I was in America - at MIT. I had come from a super religious school - Presec - where we could have organized prayer 5 times a day. At MIT, I was now one of the most religious or most Christian persons there, amidst many atheists. Even these folks could love a song like Imagine Me. 


Phelele made me love this song too. "Being strong. And not letting people break me down. You won't get that joy this time around (no, no)". Strength.

"Letting go of my past and Glad I have another chance and. My heart will dance. 'Cause I don't have to read that page again (imagine me)". Again, positivity. "It's all gone".

Smile - 2011
This song makes me think about my mum because she always encouraged us to smile. And then this quote: "It takes 72 muscles to frown and only 14 to smile." This reminds of my mum, how strong she was in her last few months.

"I smile, even though I hurt see I smile. I know God is working so I smile. Even though I've been here for a while. I smile, smile. It's so hard to look up when you been down. Sure would hate to see you give up now. You look so much better when you smile, so smile" .......you look so much better when you oh oh oh"



I also think about I deal with getting angry. I decided a number of years ago that anger is a waste of time. Quote me. I like to smile in cases where many would get angry. I like to smile when others are getting angry. I can think of a few situations. So yeah, I use smiles in many ways. Especially to lighten up conversations - physical, virtual, etc. :-) 😀😁😎😊


Honorable Mentions: Gonna Be A Lovely Day, 911, Hero, Looking For You, My Life Is In Your Hands, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages