#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Kojo Antwi

We can't really talk about Kojo Antwi, without talking about Daddy Lumba. Or you disagree? These days, many say Kojo Antwi is like Kidi while Daddy Lumba is like Kuami Eugene. On one side, Kojo and Kidi make a lot of love songs, while DL and Kuami Eugene make a lot of other types of music. I'd leave to you to discuss over some sobolo. Kojo Antwi is Mr Music Man though. Now that's someone whose music I know to sing well in the shower hehe. 

Growing up - in Ghana - December 24th was Kojo Antwi's night. A night for couples and lovers to enjoy his craft, his music, and love. I always wished I would go for one of those, with my love :-) I think my first Kojo Antwi concert was in Kumasi - the old City Hotel that Kwame Nkrumah built, on a December 26th in 2010. I was there with my family. I grew up on his music, at home.

Nkwanta Basaa - 2000
Surprised? We are not here for the applause, we are here for the truth. 
The song starts with "I came to look for something to eat, what does that have to do with what did I come to do?" The story of a journeyman, a traveller, a person seeking greener or whiter pastures. Today, people say jakpa. Many years ago, people said and still say borga. 


In 2000, I heard about MIT as the best engineering university in the whole world, while I was at Presec. I started thinking about moving to America, for school, not greener or whiter pastures. Listening to this song again made me think about 2001 and 2002 after I had gotten to the USA. Africa, what's the forward? Timeless track. 

Me dofo pa - Earlier than 2000
Nodding your head now? Love classic from Ghana. Makes me think about how Nigerian musicians have been using the word Odo in some Afrobeat hits. If you do not know what the word Odo means and you are reading this, you need to find a couple more Ghanaian friends :-) Me dofo pa means "my good love" in Twi.


You have to mention this song alongside the video. Lemme borrow this from somewhere on the internet - I love the video, I think it features some Miss Ghana contestants. Kojo Antwi, aka Mr Music Man, is maybe Ghana's most popular musician. He doesn't need to promote his music, people buy it because it's from him. Is Kojo Antwi a Reggae, R&B, Soul or Highlife musician? He's a step above the rest. 


Adiepena - 2009

Another love song. A song title that the new school Kojo Antwi also sang about. Adiepena. Something that is liked and is rare. I butchered the meaning? Leave the correct one in the comments. 


Were you surprised like me to see Yvonne Nelson in the music video? I blogged about it. I've met Yvonne Nelson a couple of times. Wait, this is not a blog post about her. She helped tell the story in the video. Mr Music Man is a storyteller at the very heart of what he does. I remember when I first met Kojo Antwi. He was down-to-earth. I interviewed him too. A real Pan-African. Sad he didn't make more a mark on the global scene as a musician. One of Ghana's all-time greats.

Honorable Mentions: Amirika, Happy Anniversary, Odo a medo wo, Akyekyedee Nantee, Kakayi, Akyekyedee Nantee, Ateteakoma, Nyankonton, Rocklyn, Do me bi, etc.

Comments

Okese said…
Why don't we have a Daddy Lumba & Kojo Antwi collaboration yet. These legends owe us a masterpiece like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages