Recapping the Vodafone Ghana AppStar Awards & Exhibition

I've done what people will call emceeing at many Barcamps in Ghana. I'm the default +Barcamp Ghana emcee, but am trying to change that. I won't be emceeing +Barcamp Accra this Saturday. This year, I've emceed the weddings of my two sisters. I'm not sure I did a great job but I will do this better and better. Who knows? I should get +Kafui Dey MC's "How to MC any event" book. Maybe I'll become a professional emcee.  On December 3, 2014, I emceed the Vodafone Ghana AppStar Awards and Exhibition at the Fiesta Royale Hotel. This was the first I had emceed a professional event. I wasn't able to experience the event like an attendee because I was a different kind of participant. But that's why there is Twitter and hashtags :-)

I announced the day on Twitter.
Vodafone also welcomed us.
I then started reading a number of funny #appstargh tweets. I blogged about those earlier here. This was when fuel Tracker was demoed. Alongside a radio app whose name I can't remember now.
I introduced the judges. My +Party Crew buddy +Derek Bossman+Julius Owusu-Kyerematen who I knew from the States and +Todd Holcombe from the +Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology.
After wondering who will be finally especially be in the established app category, we learnt about it at the event.
The Vicinity App was demoed first. This app helps users find waakye spots, ATMs, and other places of interest around them. +Priscilla Haizel who I met this year was on the team with other MEST EITs Aberdeen Adelu and +Barnabas Nsoh.
I had missed most of the +VodafoneGhana #IconsRemix goodness because I didn't have a TV. So I didn't realise @AliceTwum and co when they came in. I thought they were media people because we were asked to vacate some seats we were in for them. Anyway, Alice, who was the 2nd runner up of the Vodafone Icons Remix edition sang a song after. Because I never knew the song, I thought it was hers. "I blast!" :-)
Smart Doctor was the next app to be demoed.
The Vodafone Icons first runner-up Titi (@icons_titi) and then the winner Chris (@Icons_Chris) performed after.
I released my first tweet while at the event. My phone's been having staying alive problems. Sigh.
Africa's Legends. That's what +Eyram Tawia and +Nana Kwabena Owusu will become part of. Kobby asked about African superheroes and someone in the audience mentioned my name. Honoured. Eish, I just remembered I have to write that blog post about how I do all I do.
GH Vigilante demoed next.
I was very happy when Africa's Legends won! More money and bragging rights for +Leti Arts. Kobby, Eyram and I go way back. Really proud of them.
Vicinity won! Another team from MEST? The +Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology schools just keep on #winning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages