#Ghana60YearsOn: #MightyAfrican stories, thoughts and hopes

We called it the GhanaThink Foundation because we thought (and would continue to think) about Ghana. It's been more than 12 years since GhanaThink was born. It's also been a while since I did a blog post, or even wrote a piece for this #mightyafrican blog. Today is a great day to break that duck. Ghana is 60 years old! We are celebrating, marking, reminiscing, criticizing, strategizing, thinking and doing. 


To be frank, I am not as excited about Ghana, mostly because of our growth pace, development we can fell in around us and in our pockets and the politics and antics I've seen that are hurting Ghana and don't seem to be abating. However, I have always been excited about Ghana. More than 10 years ago, I decided to stop bothering and focusing on the negatives, and championing, celebrating and cultivating the positives. It's what drives me as we work on the +GhanaThink Foundation and its programs like +Barcamp Ghana +Junior Camp Ghana +Ghana Volunteer Program, etc. Read more via Barcamp Ghana | Junior Camp Ghana | Ghana Volunteer Program (GVP).

I contributed to a Ghana @ 60 book that is culled by +Gamel Sankarl, an author amongst his many occupations. He once mentored at +Barcamp Kumasi as well. I would share a link to buy, download or get the book in soft and hard copies later, when I have it :-) For now, I want to share some of what I published in the book. Enjoy the read and leave some comments or get in touch with through social media and social communication. 




Ever since I left high school, I have been very passionate about meeting people, making friends and networking. When I was in university in the US, I used to travel far and wide to connect with like-minded people, especially those of the same cultural neighbourhood as me. I would attend several African themed events in the US (especially involving African students). To this day, networking is a joy and something I cherish. I have also seen its benefits first hand and over time, so I am more motivated to do more of the same.

One of the best things about Ghana’s current state is the closeness we enjoy. Thanks to our high school system and family (cultural) traditions, Ghanaians have close ties amongst each other. Today, our youth are extremely connected. There are small degrees of separation between various Ghanaians. For young entrepreneurs today, the network amongst us is really strong, where it’s easy to get connected to each other. We have a state of a big family, which is accessible, increasingly responsible, albeit a bit entitled. We have available natural resources that we are not turning into value. We have a lot of available human resources that need to become more valuable human capital and competent.


I want to see a Ghana that is clean, driven by consensus and has developed communities and ecosystem able to support its constituents. This is the Ghanaian dream I envision. I want to see a Ghana where Ghanaians feel they don’t need to travel elsewhere to achieve their biggest dreams. I want to see a Ghana that is unique in its culture, marrying timeless tradition and terrific technology. We must remain uniquely Ghanaian, with our positive cultural and communal traits. We must give way to best practices that ensure equity in wealth, resources and opportunities.

Technology is the biggest change in these last 60 Ghanaian years. Though we could have embraced tech more, especially in implementation, it has reinforced our connections. It has become a leveller, allowing people to shine. We are in the fourth industrial revolution that puts so much power in our hands and capabilities. Technology is a great way to level the playing field for everyone. We must embrace the tools, training and technology available to us now and build some to meet our needs and chart the future.

60 years on, Ghana is well into its life. A couple of generations in, we must repeat best practices and repeal bad habits. We must build a Ghana we can be proud of living in, now. More vim to Ghana’s youth as we take on more responsibility professionally, socially and traditionally. We must become changemakers, doers and entrepreneurs. We must lead today!

Comments

KUBET said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
Wow 😮 very impressive I'm inspired, Boss 🙏🙏
It's amazing to see great men stand their grounds in the quest to make impact and develop the youth irrespective of the current state of the nation. I'm already looking forward to the next event. Super refreshing 🙌

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages