#MusicWeDeyFeel: All-time Favorites, including these from Sarkodie

The last time I saw Sarkodie perform was at the #PresecBonfire night in 2022. I was chatting with some Odadees and all of a sudden, people stopped chatting and started paying attention to the stage. You Know What Time It Is! It was Sarkodie who had appeared on stage and everyone had to listen to him, see him perform, and sing or rap along. He thoroughly deserved to be crowned the artist of the 2010s decade in Ghana.

People believe he is the true torchbearer who took over from Obrafour. Sarkodie has been freestyling for ages in Tema and releasing mixtapes that went viral. He's become very commercial, but why shouldn't he? He deserves his success in my opinion. Haa baako yɛ 10K!

I just love the way he reps Tema. One day, we shall find a way to bring Sarkodie to Barcamp Tema, that's a dream. SarkNation is a thing. It's not just the music, it's the aura, it's the concerts, it's the songs he drops with the pulse of the people. Truly, an artist. I am going to Tema for the TemaKonnect meetup on #CleanAirGhana. Let's hurry up and get this blog post done.

Adonai - 2014
This is one of the top 5 songs ever from Ghana, in my opinion. Ask any random African who has visited any popular club in any African city. Castro shined on this song, and Sarkodie was his usual artsy self. People love the song due to Hallelujah mentions, or the Baba God e, Baba, You be too much e! 


"Mencurse wo, I don't want to disobey God. Moatry sε mode me bεto prison (haa!)
"Wɔ aberε a, monni particular reason
Mo dwen me ho, me ne Tigo fo reyε meeting
Fa to w'asum, I don't wanna be repeating"

I think this song made the whole "We Dey Pray" movement grow and glow. The hiplife gospel type songs with a difference. 96 million views and counting. Yeah, put the song on repeat.

Babe - 2009
What else? This song shot Sarkodie into the limelight and remains one of the top songs ever from Ghana, too. I have also been calling my wife Babe ever since we got into a serious relationship. "Babe, the things you dey do me, dey make I dey feel. I go come tell my mama say you be my wife". This was one of my top Ghanaian songs in 2009 too. I like to sing this song during karaoke. Enjoy (not my karaoke video please, the music video for Babe lol)

"You be my right hand one, when you no dey I dey feel like I'm losing

When you watching me, like the sun is scorching me
When you touching me, dey make I don dey sing this song"

Sarkodie is the new king of hiplife, ever since he combined with Mugeez (of R2Bees) for this track. This guy still dey show 'Kasahare level'. Mugeez made this song as great as it is. Yes, I am a big fan. Check him out here more seriously. 

Borga
The third song was a very difficult one to choose. I almost went with Saa Okodie No which features the one who preceded Sarkodie in mind - Obrafour. One time for your mind! I went for this song that featured on the soundtrack for Shirley Frimpong Manso's A Sting In A Tale movie. Watch the video for the song made by Phamous Philms.





I blogged about this song, please take a read "Masa, na wobaa year bɛn; Me, mebaayɛ nkyɛɛyɛ, afei na mabɛdu nti obi nsoa me o na me kɔn mu rebu". The lyrics are heavy. Aburokyire tumi ma ɔsɔfo nom jot; Ɔpɛ sɛ ɔtwitwa n'adwendwen so short" - Living abroad can make a pastor take up smoking; wanting to cut short his worries".

Obede pon obede!
Sarkodie ended a verse with a word of advice. "Nya ntoboaseɛ ma wo nnwom na ɛbɛben" - Have patience with your music and it shall be well. It's not all rosy abroad. We can all make it Ghana or wherever in Africa we find ourselves. 

Obede pon obede! Wait, he might just be cooking up a song called Jakpa o! Lol.

Honorable Mentions: Saa Okodie No, Politics, Can't Let You Go, U Go Kill Me, Country Side, Lucky, Original, Happy Day, Pain Killer, Saara, Pon Di Ting, Coachella, Down on One, My Advice [Refix], etc


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages