Positivity Music Starting Eleven, with More Vim - Gospel Music Version

In line with listening to more gospel music in general in 2024, I tuned in to Trace Gospel on Sunday, September 15, 2024. They played a long list of Joe Mettle songs. Great stuff. Great gospel music. Inspirational inside. Positivity. It made me think about gospel songs that especially have positive vibes, and vim. Just like the other #MusicWeDeyFeel Starting Eleven, I have formed another team. This time, let's play the common winning formation, 4-3-3. 

Lean On Me (1998)
Kirk Franklin (USA)
Goalkeeper, Number 1

I am here.
You don't have to worry.
I can see. I can see your tears. Your tears.
I'll be there in a hurry when you call. Yes I will.
Friends are there to catch you when you fall.
Here's my shoulder. Here's my shoulder, you can lean on me


We need a very reliable goalkeeper to lean on. I really love the movie of the same name. Yes, the one with Morgan Freeman. The man many says is God in the movies. I had seen this movie on TV in Ghana. Miraculous saves. Last ditch escapes. The assurance that no matter what happens, our goal would not be breached.

Nea Yehu Hi (2000)
Daughters of Glorious Jesus (Ghana)
Right Back, Number 2

Ɛfiri sɛ yɛwɔ Nyankopɔn bia ɔno ni akokyɛm o
Mese, ɔbetwitwa agye wo o ama woaka sɛ nea worehu yi
Nea worehu yi a, ɛntumi mmu y'abɛn mu da o
"Nea yɛhu yi, nea yɛhu yi a, ɛntumi mmu y'abɛn mu da o"
 


These days, lots of coaches play inverted right wingers on the left wing. So they can cut in and do striking damage. These guys dribble a lot, do a lot of keche and tend to scare defenders. "Whatever we are seeing, we would not be broken by it at all, We are not afraid". Here's our fearsome right back.

This song came out in 2000. I know this for shizzle because when it was released, I was in Form 2 in Presec. "Nea yɛhu yi, nea yɛhu yi a, ɛntumi mmu y'abɛn mu da o" - which means 'what we are seeing, it can't break our spirit, ever!'. Song talks about having a God who will fight for us so nothing can deter us from what we want to do or break our spirits. What is your problem? With God's backing, no weapon formed against you shall prosper. Amen


Defe Defe (2024)
Team Eternity (Ghana)
Left Back, Number 3

Woka me ho nti mensuro (You are with me so I will not fear)
Bɔhyɛ na Wohyɛɛ no aba mu o (The promise You made has come to pass)
I've got my victory in You ...

Monnyae me! (Don't hold me back! / Allow me!)
Ma menda Nyame ase (Let me thank God)
M'anhyia Nyame anka y'ayɛ me defe defe (Had I not met God my enemies would have defeated me)
Defe defe (Defeated me)


We need another protector from the all dangerous crosses coming in. This one is preventing lots of potential things that would cause our defeat. I just held up the victory sign before typing this while listening to this hit track. A very important part of a team that would be known for eternity. 

Igwe (2008)
Midnight Crew (Nigeria)
Stopper, Number 4


Kosi oba bireKosi baba bireKo ma s'olorun bire igweE ba mi gb'olorun tobi oba nla oba to gaE ba mi gb'olorun tobi edumare oba to ga
He brought me out of darkness ha ha haa
And set my feet upon the rock igwe
He put a new song in my mouth to singAnd now I can shout hallelujah hallelujah
Igwe igwe
Igwe hallelujah igwe ...

You take away my sorrow!....
Come bless me nyafu nyafu!

We need a rock that nothing would go past. A Rock Of Ages. This is the jam! The kind of jam you would hear in night clubs in Kumasi. Because Ghanaians are that kind of people. You would hear this song in a club in Kano? Now, that makes me shout Hallelujah! Oh, the name of the group is Midnight Crew. So if you are at some bar in Koforidua and the clock stirkes midnight, and the band starts playing this song, do not be surprised. This song stops all sorts of attacks. Proper defender. no weapon fashioned against our team shall prosper.

Smile (2011)
Kirk Franklin (USA)
Sweeper, Number 5

I smile, even though I hurt see I smile
I know God is working so I smile
Even though I've been here for a while
I smile, smile
It's so hard to look up when you been down
Sure would hate to see you give up now.
You look so much better when you smile, so smile" .......
You look so much better when you oh oh oh"



No matter what, this position would clear up any mess, sweep any thing that might cause harm. In fact, no shaking at all to put the point that the sweeper plays with a smile, all the time.
This song makes me think about my mum because she always encouraged us to smile. And then this quote: "It takes 72 muscles to frown and only 14 to smile." This reminds of my mum, how strong she was in her last few months. We need a lot of strength and positivity in this position

My Redeemer Lives (2000)
Nicole Mullen (USA)
Defensive Midfielder, Number 6

Who taught the sun?
Where to stand in the morning
And who taught the ocean
You can only come this far
And who showed the moon
Where to hide till evening
Whose words alone can
Catch a falling star
Well I know my Redeemer lives
I know my redeemer lives



This position wins the ball back. Redeems the team. Marks the most dangerous attacker out of the game. Nicole Mullen is not the most popular American gospel musician. But she released this all-time classic. The defensive midfielder works quietly. Positioning. Organizing other team mates. But when the tackles come in, you would know. 


High I Go 
Kabelo (South Africa)

Right Wing, Number 7

It's an absolute travesty that this song is not on YouTube. I have actually tasked people like Phelele to get me the mp3, or even to tell Kabelo Mabalane to put the track on YouTube. Ayibo. I have never stopped listening to this song, one of my 'favoritest' gospels song ever. South Africans can sang! This song is gospel but it should be played at every African party, the beat is just super. And those clicks! Mhhmm.


I Win (2013)
Cwesi Oteng (Ghana)
Back-to-Back, Number 8

Everything I do [I win, I win]
Every word I say [I win, I win]
Everything I touch [I win, I win]
I just dey win ooo ....
I am a champion! ....
I'm a winner!...
Put your head up!


I first got to know about Cwesi Oteng when I was working on Museke. He surely was Ghana's Kirk Franklin at the time. My Rancard manager, Ehi Binitie, invited me to a Lighthouse Chapel branch in Airport West once. Cwesi Oteng was the one leading praise & worship there. Oh My Days. It was a feast of gospel music. Very memorable. We are trying to win as many games as possible to win the ultimate. Here is our captain. Involved in all of the action. 

My God Is Good (2009)
Joyous Celebration & Uche Agu (South Africa, Nigeria)
Striker, Number 9


Eeeh My God is good oh (Eeeh My God is good oh)
Eeeh My God is good oh (Eeeh My God is good oh)
Everything na double double oh (Na double double)
Everything na double double oh (Na double double)
Promotion double double oh (Na double double)
Your money double double oh (Na double double)
Your house double double oh (Na double double)
Your cars double double oh (Na double double)


Do you play Fantasy Premier League? Who do you captain in your squad? The one who is mostly likely to score goals right? My brother Kofi introduced me to FPL. We have a GhanaThink Fantasy Premier League too. My goal each season is to be in the top 23 in the #GhanaThinkFPL. This is the song to "Double Captain". Because it shall bring a lot of joy and celebrations. Joyous Celebration is just what the group's name is. Legendary group. This song has lyrics in Lingala to Zulu. This song can score any kind of goal.


Go High (2007)
Philippa Baafi (Ghana)
Attacking Midfielder, Number 10

The sky is your limit, (gagoogo) the sky is your limit (goo-gagoogo)
Don't be content with where you are o abi?
Go go go high
Kekakɔ woanim me nua baa
Kekakɔ woanim me nua abranteɛ
Winners no for quit o abi abi? (goo-gagoogo) ....
Kekakɔ na wobɛduru hɔ
Wobɛdi nkunim!

This was a favorite song of mine when it came out. It has Twi, Ga, Ewe lyrics. Philippa Baafi shined on this one. "It Is Possible". Made me think think Kevin Garnett and the Boston Celtics in 2008. We're playing sawker though. Soccer. Association Football. Football. The one we play in Ghana. Now, the number 10 or maestro is the one person in the team who should always make forward passes. In the dying embers of the game, they would create the chances. 


Kakra Nkakra (2000s)
Moses OK (Ghana)
Left wing, Number 11


Nyame a, woahye me bɔ no, ɔyɛ nokwarefoɔ
Kakra nkakra, ɛbɛyɛ yie, 
ɛnti mɛkɔ so akɔ m'anim ....
Memma m'aba mu mmu, mɛkɔ so akɔ m'anim
Mede gyidie ani ahunu sɛ, me daakye no yɛ kɛsɛ

Moses OK is one of the most underrated Ghanaian gospel artistes. He always makes great music. "Kakra nkakra, ɛbɛyɛ yie, Ɛnti mɛkɔ so akɔ m'anim" - Little by little, it will be well, so I will keep on going forward. "Mede gyidie ani ahunu sɛ, Me daakye no yɛ kɛsɛ" - I have faith to see that, my future will be big. Little drops of water make a mighty ocean. Have faith as you pursue your dreams my people, because God will fight for you. This position is about trying out lots of crosses into the opponents' box, expecting that teammates would be there to finish these big chances. 


Have some tracks that would make your list or my bench? Drop them in the comments. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Official Pick-up lines to try out for fun

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Learnt how to say "What is your name" & "My name is" in 23 African languages