Heroes Productions' Sin of the Soul - a review

One time as I was minding my business at Suuch Solutions' offices at Avenida Hotel, a couple of young boys came by to sell some Ghanaian and Nigerian movies (VCDs). They had a bunch, and the only ones I had seen were 'A Sting In A Tale', 'Perfect Picture', 'Heart of Men' and 'Silent Scandals'. I wanted to buy a couple new movies to watch but was unsure what to choose. These days, I only watch Ghanaian or Nigerian movies that are recommended. Since I didn't have too much money, I was only going to purchase a Ghanaian film. I settled on 'Sin of the Soul' because the movie looked awfully familiar. I explained to the guy selling the films that was all I will buy though he tried to suggest many other titles. Upon seeing 'Sin of the Soul', I must say it was worth the money I paid for it and it's one of the best performances by Majid Michel and Nadia Buari.

Sin of the Soul (SOTS) is directed by Frank Rajah Arase and produced by Heroes Production, the same house that did 'Heart of Men'. Heart of Men turned out to be an okay movie after that trashy trailer they put together but upon seeing that movie a second time, I didn't like it as much. SOTS is not unlike many other Accra/Takoradi/English movies made in Ghana. What set it apart for me was the story/plot and the acting. The movie had depth and many characters who all stood out in the film.

Majid is one of Ghana's best actors and he executed his character very well. I have not really been a fan of Nadia's acting but she did well in this movie. Kofi Adjorlolo shined as well. Majid and David Osei's characters were friends in this movie, just like in 'Heart of Men' and I think the on-screen chemistry between the two is great. Nadia plays a bunch of characters in different movies but I think she excels at playing sad scenes.

SOTS is set around a murder case involving a powerful politician's son. The deceased is the younger sister of this son's maid and a battle ensues between the two for justice to be done. The cast includes Majid Michel, Nadia Buari, Prince David Osei, Kofi Adjorlolo, Ekow Smith Asante, Kalsoum Sinare, Roger Quartey, Eve Asare, Martha Ankomah, Rose Ntrissah, Helen Ashanti, etc. I almost didn't recognise Kalsoum Sinare in the movie, she's grown big papa.

The movie throws a light on corruption and how people in power can work the justice system to their favour. "Even the Monks in Tibet have a price. Find his". It also shows an uncorruptible lawyer who is prepared to do whatever it takes so that justice prevails and the right things are done. I loved how the police system was used in this movie. The movie also centers around crime, strained relationships, and politics. It's a marked departure from various Ghanaian movies where the main characters are involved in some romantic relationship.

The dialogue was great too, there were a few times when the 'big English' tendencies of Ghanaian English movies came to bear. Cosmic stupidity! That was a nice one. Debased frivolities? "I'm a trained police officer... this is my life, my job and the very essence of my existence." Imagine a Ghanaian police officer saying this. Pretty neat. I really loved the police and lawyer characters, they offered some insight into how that worked in Ghana. A few other selected lines - "A for apple, B for bitch, G for goat!" "I really wish that was the script, but there has been an addendum" "I have no patience for this hunky-punky". The court scenes were done well and had some interesting dialogue as well. Why do lawyers always say "I put it to you"? "You sold your soul for 3000 Ghana cedis". The movie tells us that cheap girls are always cheap and don't seem to have expensive prices.

Like many movies directed by Frank Rajah Arase, the movie has a main song which was composed specially for the film. Why do they play this song throughout the movie, across scenes where different emotions are involved? The same song serves as the soundtrack for sad scenes, etc.
There were a few club scenes where P-Square songs were played. I know Nigerian music is popular in Ghana and frequently played in clubs there but surely, some Ghanaian songs could have done the job?

In fact, this review was tough to write. There aren't too many memorable scenes except for the exchanges between Majid and Nadia, the court and police scenes. SOTS was a good movie, but only better than the other 'Gollywood' movies I've seen, judging by the plot, acting/casting and . If you are looking for a Ghanaian movie to watch, let this be part of your collection. I must warn you though, the movie ends with "The Saga begins". Judging by the story, the movie had better not ended that way. We'll see what comes next. What do you know? Someone already reviewed the movie here. You should also check out Nollywood Forever, who also reviews Nigerian and Ghanaian movies.

Photo from Myafricanmoviereviews @Blogspot.

Comments

Myne said…
Great review but I think I will see ASIT first

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages