My Top 10 Ghanaian songs of 2009 (so far)

Here's another one. Just like the other one. Ghanaian music is at a crisis. People feel we are sounding too much like Western artistes. Okyeame Kwame and Obour recorded a song 'The Game' which addressed this. Me, am loving all of this. It's good we are talking about this. In fact, hiplife & GH Rap are taking over. We can still get down to the old jams, and appreciate the new. So in case VIP's Ahomka womu is still the Gh song you jam to or you stopped paying attention after Obrafour's last album or you are just waiting to hear Kojo Antwi's latest album, you should get up-to-date with the jams of today. I know 2009 hasn't ended yet, but here are 10 of my favorite Ghanaian songs this year. I'll tell you which song didn't make it unfortunately. Kwabena Kwabena's Do ne bi is an all-time favorite, but for me, it made its rounds in 2008.

Before that, you have to check out my 10 songs dedicated to African women, my favorite Ghanaian songs, 10 favorite songs from Kenya, 10 favorite songs from South Africa, my 10 favorite Nigerian songs and 10 African songs I think you should know about. I hope to hear some of these at your next party. Click the songs to find the lyrics, video, audio, etc.

Simple - Bradez
This is my brother's favorite GH song now and I share his sentiments. Those Prempeh boys can rap! They've had hits before but it seems this is their best yet. This line is just brilliant if you ask me "I dash WI Double L dash WE D dash WI NIFRED full stop. Stone, who is the heck is Winifred? Day gee o! I love the chorus, and Okyeame Kwame's brothers killed it with their rap too. Big ups to Richie on the beat, this guy's the best now. "Babe you dey be me too much; Smile make I see your dimple; Pretty girl I’m loving your touch; Bad girls me I no dey mingle; I’ll never ever say u bye bye; Never ever leave you single; Anytime I dey by your side; You make me feel so simple"

Baby (my wife) - Sarkodie
Sarkodie's the new king of hiplife. People believe he is the true torchbearer taking over from Obrafour. Obrafour should come and take his crown before Sarkodie makes everyone forget he existed. Sarkodie has been freestyling for ages in Tema and releasing mixtapes that went viral. When he combined with Mugeez (of R2Bees) for this track, he had his first radio hit. He deserves it. This guy dey show 'Kasahare level'. You should hear his tracks Boga and Politics.

Where my baby dey - Samini
I was so excited to hear this song. Samini may be my favorite Ghanaian musician these days and I wish him a lot of success. Hope he wins a MAMA this year for best performer too. Go vote for him. How can you not shout at the top of your voice when singing this song? "Where my baby dey; As I am wailing everyday; Hoping say she still go come my way"

Daa ke daa - Becca
I first heard this song while watching Sparrow Productions' Scorned. I fell in love with it there and then. I knew it was Becca singing too. The song made me very happy. A song made for a Ghanaian movie that is super, will become a hit and will have a music video. Isn't this good? You know what they say about Ga and their women, Becca makes Ga sound so 'sexy'. Yes, I said it.

Runaway - Irene
It was inevitable that Irene and Jane would split. Irene hooked up with fellow Akora Richie, and they worked on her solo career. Her first single has been mad successful. It became the most searched Ghanaian song on Google. Asem laid the rap lines well and Irene shone with her singing. We are waiting for the music video. This song should go international.

Anaa (remix) - Okyeame Kwame
This is another song I can't get enough of. Okyeame Kwame's my favorite rapper now and like he said, he's also your favorite rapper's favorite rapper. The original Anaa song featured Wutah but though I am a huge fan of Wutah, the remix is much better. Morris did well too. I had a whole blog post about this song, that's how much I love it.

Kotosa - Wutah
I was thoroughly excited to hear this song played in Sparrow Productions' Perfect Picture. Wutah has been struggling to be in the limelight after the successes of Goosy Gander, Big Dreams and Esikyire. They found the groove with this one. So "Love goes where Love is; I can't deny this; if you feeling this; Come and join us, sing this song"

World Trade Center - 4x4
This song is my present guilty pleasure. I don't know why I love listening to this song. It's everything I don't want in a hit song but still. I mean look at this... "Go, go, go, big booty girl". "Cos the way you dey make I dey wonder, If your booty was given by your mama". "Never underestimate my lover; She have the World Trade Center; The twin towers to match in body, body, in body". Have you seen the video? Worse than Dr. Poh's Na who, the booty can cause traffic. God help me. And then they turn around and sing Shaka Zulu. "The boy them need a girl with a sexy face; The girl them want a guy with a pretty face; They want a fresh face; She no want a man with a face like Shaka Zulu". Ouch.

A moment's notice - Jane
Can we just crown 'The Perfect Picture' the best Ghanaian movie ever? There's too much to say about the movie. Including this song by Jane. After Irene made it big with Runaway, everyone is watching to see what Jane would do. The girl would be fine if she gets a good manager. She's great. This particular song is hot. When Jane posted it on her Facebook fan page, I listened to it continuously. And then, it was the soundtrack for the 'Perfect Picture's "best scene", imagine the excitation. Chei! "We talking about the things we do when we're in love; Midnight calls, lunch in the park, head way up in the sky". Kai!

Nyornuviade - Ayigbe Edem
God bless Ayigbe Edem. We have a legitimate Ewe rapper in Ghana now, to add to Tinny's success as the king of Ga rap. Do y'all realise they are both from Hammer of the Last 2's camp? We must celebrate Hammer, he's a gem. Of course, I don't understand Ewe, but this song is the bomb. And I think Kwabena Kwabena does the singing on this one, so that's a great bonus. Someone please translate the song for us.

These are the first 10 songs that came to mind. If I remember one injustice that I missed, I will comment about it. Just like last time, I want to list a few honorable mentions. The song that just failed to make the cut was Daddy Lumba's Aye Huhuuhu. Other songs are Samson & Delilah by Ofori Amponsah, Zoji zoji by Echo, Ringtone by Tinny, Wodin by 5Five, and Broken by Soulja's Inn.

More props to Mframa for their Disco track. A big shoutout to D-Black & Kwaku T for Move and Breathe. Vote for them and Okyeame Kwame for Channel O awards. Check out Shatta Rako's response to Okyeame Kwame and Obour's The Game with his own song, Da Shame of the game. Sonni Bali's back from exile with When you're gone aka 'hole in my natty'. Asem too does not want to be forgotten, and if you listen to Suuliya with Sway, you'll know he's here to stay.

Long live songs about Ghanaian music.
Long live African music.
Long live Ghana.

Comments

Thank you! You are so helpful on here and Museke...simple is officially the best!
Anonymous said…
Do you know the name of the song that sounds something like "prostitute, prostitute, prostitute...is bad", transelated to english?
MIghTy African said…
@Nsoromma, you are welcome.

@Anonymous, is that the Ashawo song by Flavour?
See this - http://museke.com/en/node/4233

Popular posts from this blog

Learnt how to say "Thank You" in 23 African languages

Introducing REACH-Ghana on the occasion of World AIDS day

Learnt how to say "Happy birthday" in 13 African languages